Lufthansa Cargo and the owner-managed logistics company Röhlig Logistics are joining forces in a partnership for climate protection and will offer customers a sustainable transport service on selected routes with immediate effect.
In doing so, Röhlig Logistics relies on investments in certified climate protection projects in order to effectively compensate for CO2 emissions that arise during the transport of airfreight.
Röhlig Logistics is initially committed to decarbonising air freight on a total of four selected freight routes. This is expected to offset around 1,000 tonnes of CO2 emissions.
Philip W. Herwig, Managing Partner at Röhlig Logistics, explains: “Röhlig is committed to promoting sustainability in all its business activities and decision-making processes.
“Therefore, we are particularly pleased to be a partner of Lufthansa Cargo and to take a measurable step in our sustainability efforts with this commitment.
“With immediate effect, we are offering our customers CO2-neutral freight transport on selected routes.
“In doing so, 100 per cent of the CO2 emissions are offset by supporting projects of the international and non-profit climate protection organisation myclimate.”
“We are delighted to have Röhlig Logistics as another partner at our side, actively contributing to make air freight transports more sustainable,” explains Dorothea von Boxberg, CEO at Lufthansa Cargo.
“Our goal is to become the most sustainable air cargo airline.
“That is why we are investing in a modern fleet, innovations such as AeroShark, which reduces air resistance, and the latest generation of lighter loading equipment.
“These investments help to significantly reduce our CO2 emissions.
“On the other hand, we offer our customers sustainable transport solutions that reduce the remaining carbon footprint.
“In addition to Sustainable Aviation Fuel, this also includes offsetting CO2 emissions by investing in high-quality climate protection projects”.
On the following routes, all CO2 emissions of freight carried on behalf of Röhlig Logistics are 100 per cent offset:
- from Frankfurt/Main (FRA) to Atlanta (ATL)
- from Frankfurt/Main (FRA) to Mexico City (MEX)
- from Frankfurt/Main (FRA) to Shanghai (PVG)
- from Hong Kong (HKG) to Frankfurt/Main (FRA)
Röhlig Logistics relies on a selection of ten carbon offset projects curated by the Lufthansa Group and run by the non-profit organization myclimate, which applies only the strictest, independent quality standards, such as Gold Standard and Plan Vivo, when selecting and designing carbon offset projects.
The offsetting is handled via Compensaid, the Lufthansa Group’s digital platform for CO2-neutral flying.
The following projects are supported within the framework of compensation:
- Brazil: Wood-Based Biomass instead of Gas Boiler in Brazil
- Brazil: Electricity from FSC Wood Waste in the Amazon
- Burundi: Efficient Cook Stoves for Returnees in Burundi
- India: Biogas plants for 9,000 Familie in India
- Kenya: Savings Groups Enable Women to Afford an Efficient Cook Stove in Kenya
- Madagascar: Back to the Green Island with Efficient and Solar Stoves in Madagascar
- Nicaragua: Community Reforestation in Nicaragua
- Nigeria: Efficient Cook Stoves reduce Emissions in Nigeria
- Ruanda: Efficient Cook Stoves save Habitat for the last of the Mountain Gorillas in Rwanda